On 10 April 1918, during the Battle of the Lys, Armentières was evacuated by the British in the face of the advancing German Army. The town was subsequently bombarded by the Allies to render its roads, railways and buildings useless to the invading army. One casualty of the shelling was the 17th century town hall which was totally destroyed.
The town hall is another fine illustration of his Flanders style with its ornate facade, grand staircase and a great hall worthy of any burgomaster.
Cordonnier also designed the pyramid-shaped war monument in the town square, sculpted by Edgar Boutry, and the market hall which is today a venue for live entertainment. Another edifice of note is Saint-Vaast Church whose neo-Gothic grandeur dominates the town hall with its 83-metre-high bell tower.The architects of the Reconstruction also turned their attention to restoring industrial buildings and an example of this is the old Motte-Cordonnier Brewery built on the banks of the Lys River.
Interesting civilian architecture on the street named after President Kennedy is the result of some friendly rivalry between the town's prominent citizens as they rebuilt their homes.